The Crescent Hose Company began as the Citizens Hose Company on December 31st, 1885 at the intersection of Main and Vine in the Borough of North East. On the exact same night, the Fuller Hose Company was formed by donation from Ezra Fuller.
The companies were formed after demands from local residents in 1884 for better fire protection. Until that time, the town relied on bucket brigades and a hand forced fire pump that was deemed inadequate only six years after purchase. Prior to the formation of the fire companies. the Borough of North East had completed a $20,000 project that supplied downtown hydrants from Eaton Reservoir, about 10 miles outside of the Borough.
Early records pertaining to the Citizens/Crescent Hose Company are largely unavailable, whereas some records do exist from Fuller Hose Company, indicating an aggressive effort to become an able Hose Company.
* October 1886 - A fire bell was installed on top of Town Hall
* February 13, 1889 - Anti-Saloon league brings charges against Citizens Hose, and on the same night, Crescent Hose Company is formed.
* 1902 - Crescent Hose replaced it's hand drawn wagon for a horse drawn wagon.
* 1909 - First Central Alarm system. An operator would call each firefighter to alert of a fire emergency
* 1910 - First major fire for the Crescent Hose Company
* 1912 - The first motorized piece of equipment was purchased by the Crescent Hose Company, a fire damaged Studebaker.
* 1915 - An air diaphragm fire horn is installed at Crescent Hose.
* 1915 - The first "chemical apparatus" was purchased by Crescent Hose Company for fire suppression.
On January 29, 1919, the Crescent Hose Company, in a meeting of the Company, determined that it was necessary to obtain an actual fire fighting apparatus. It was determined that the old hose wagon would be sold and a new pumper would be purchased. The funding was not available for this apparatus, and the Crescent Hose Company went to the Borough of North East for assistance. A lengthy battle ensued, until December 28th, 1919, when the membership of Crescent Hose had finally had enough, and decided to resign, disband and further went to chain the 1912 Studebaker to a tree in Gibson Park. This action prompted Borough Council to dedicate time to investigate the purchase, which then caused the membership to return.
In May 1920, a 1919 American LaFrance 750 GPM pumper was delivered to the Crescent Hose Company for $12,000, paid by the Borough of North East. It is stated that the Hose Company members cheered as the Captain backed the rig into the station for the first time.
In 1930, Crescent Hose Company purchased the first "smoke masks" to be used for the firemen's protection. In 1932, a "safety squad" was formed, with a first aid kit and inhalator placed on the 1919 pumper, essentially making this the first rescue truck for North East.
In January 1946, the Firemen's Cherry Festival Committee was formed with C.A. Hollister as the general chairman of the event. The festival was setup as an attempt to raise funds for the Crescent and Fuller Hose Companies. The first festival took place July 18th, 19th and 20th, 1946. It was determined that the event would take place at the Heard School (now known as Heard Park). A Cherry Queen would be crowned, and a four door maroon sedan would be raffled off at the completion of the event. The festival was a gigantic success, bringing in $4,413.89. It was such a success that we continue this tradition today for five days every July.
From 1946 until 1996, the Crescent Hose Company maintained residence at the Borough Hall building at Vine Street and East Street. The following are some key dates and events during those 50 years.
* 1947 - Crescent Hose purchases a used Seagrave ladder truck, replacing an outdated 1917 hook and ladder truck.
* 1947 - Crescent Hose purchases a Chevy panel van as an equipment van.
* 1947 - Crescent Hose purchases a deluge "master stream" appliance and a Scott Air Breathing Pack.
* 1947 - Hotel Concord Fire
* October, 1949 - Crescent Hose purchases a new 1949 American LaFrance 750 GPM pumper for $14,355.72.
* 1954 - First radio communications system for mobile radio communication.
* 1956 - The "Home Receiver" becomes available to each member, to alert them of calls via radio.
* 1958 - Police and Fire Communications dispatch center established at the North East Police Department. 24/7 coverage for emergency calls.
* 1958 - Crescent Hose purchased an "emergency response car" for North East, a Chevrolet Station Wagon. This unit was used to respond to the increasing number of emergency medical services calls.
* July 19, 1959 - The local emergency number SA5-4551 is established.
* 1962 - A used 1952 Dodge Ladder Truck from Westfield, NY was purchased to replace the 1947 Seagrave.
* 1963 - A Buick station wagon was purchased to replace the 1958 Chevy station wagon.
* April 26, 1964 - The North East Hardware Store Fire on South Pearl Street occurred. Four hours of aggressive firefighting efforts and a night long salvage and overhaul effort by Crescent, Fuller, Harborcreek, Greenfield, Ripley, Fairfield, Brookside, Belle Valley, Union City, all called to the scene by Chief Clarence Hutchinson. Assistance was also offered from Kuhl Hose and City of Erie Fire Chief George Hamburger
* July 30, 1968 - Crescent Hose Company signed a contract with Young Fire Equipment of Lancaster, NY for the purchase of a 50 foot snorkel truck equipped with a 1000 GPM pump.
* Late 1968 - A $7500 addition was added to the Crescent Hose Company to accommodate the new snorkel.
* June 1969 - New Snorkel placed into service.
* June 1st, 1971 - Crescent Hose Company assumes Emergency Medical Services responsibility from local funeral directors.
* July 7th, 1971 - North East Borough Council enacts ordinance 582 providing for the acquisition, operation and maintenance of a ambulance service. The township enacted a similar ordinance.
* October 1971 - A new van-type ambulance was purchased for $12,645.55. The Borough and Township split the cost of this unit, and it's radios and traffic control devices.
*May 14, 1977 - The Saint Mary's Seminary caught fire. Under the reign of Chief Tom Huber, 15 area departments responded to what has been referred to as the most destructive fire in North East history. A loss of around 4.5 million dollars was incurred.
* 1982 - The 1949 LaFrance was replaced with a 1982 1500GPM pumper.
* 1996 - Crescent Hose moves into it's present location at 36 East Main Street.
* 1998 - The Snorkel was replaced with a 1998 KME 75 foot AerialCat.
* 2000 - Ambulance 217 is purchased, a 2000 LifeLine / Ford E-450
* 2001 - Heavy Rescue 208 purchased.
* 2001 - Ambulance 207 is purchased, a 2001 LifeLine / Ford E-450
* 2004 - Engine 212 is purchased, a 2004 KME Predator 1500GPM, 1000 Gallon pumper.
* 2009 - Ambulance 217 was rebuilt onto a 2009 Ford E-450
* 2010 - Ambulance 207 was rebuilt onto a 2010 Ford E-450
* 2015 - Ambulance 207 was replaced by a 2015 Braun Chief XL / Ford F-450 2WD
* 2017 - Ambulance 217 was replaced by a 2017 Braun Chief XL / Ford